Well, this year is not even over and we have already seen alot. Death of Osama Bin Laden, Sindh Floods, Arab Spring, death of Col Qadhafi, death of Silicon Valley Icon Steve Jobs, death of Saudi Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdel Aziz and headlines about death of Begum Nusrat Bhutto surfacing today as I write this blog. And this is what I remember just at top of my head. No surprises though, this whole decade has been notoriously eventful for better or for worse (mostly for worse). A whole lot of important public figures (good and bad) vanished into oblivion. We are witnessing a very important era of the life timeline, the history in making.
Another disturbing news surfacing today is regarding an Earth Quake in Turkey; more than 1000 feared dead. Yes, the world is just not that happy place it used to be when I was a kid.
Today’s news about Nusrat Bhutto, however, is of particular significance in Pakistan. The government of Pakistan has declared a day off tomorrow in mourning. I can see comments pouring in on twitter. Some ridicule, some laud. My two cents? I think the lady deserved peace and respect. No matter what your political associations might be or not be, you cannot or should not ignore the sacrifices which were incumbent on this woman.
A woman who saw her husband be hanged to death and 3 of her children killed. No matter the circumstances of the situations she was put into, she lived through it.
RIP Begum Nusrat Bhutto, may you finally Rest in Peace.
What more twist and turns are in store in Pakistan over the years, only time will tell. But the real question is; Are we ready? or more importantly Are we paying any attention to what’s in fold? I will try not to focus on current affairs in my future blog as there are far too many opinions already available for the willing and un-willing audience. I will, however, try to absorb these confusing surronding events in a somewhat fictious world, try to make sense out of what apparently seems more than what actually meets the eye. See you around and Allah bless Pakistan.
- Begum Nusrat Bhutto : “The Mother of Democracy” (socyberty.com)
- Old PPP guards remember Nusrat Bhutto (nation.com.pk)
- Obituary: former Pakistan first lady Begum Nusrat Bhutto dies aged 82 (100gf.wordpress.com)
- Begum Nusrat Bhutto – We salute you By Farahnaz Ispahani (farahnazispahani.wordpress.com)
- Eventful year so far… (unbannedus.wordpress.com)
- Mother of Late Pakistani PM Bhutto Dies in Dubai (abcnews.go.com)
- Mother of late Pakistani PM Bhutto dies in Dubai (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Begum Nusrat Bhutto: First Lady of Pakistan who fought to keep her family together (independent.co.uk)
- Nusrat Bhutto Passes Away (justsimplyinlove.wordpress.com)
- You: Nusrat Bhutto is no more (nation.com.pk)